HARRISBURG >> The Pennsylvania Department of Health reported that as of 12 a.m. on March 19, there are 52 additional positive cases of COVID-19 reported, bringing the statewide total to 185.
The state also reported one death, an adult from Northampton County. County-specific information and a statewide map are available here. All people are either in isolation at home or being treated at the hospital.
“Our notable increase in cases over the last few days and our first death in Pennsylvania indicate we need everyone to take COVID-19 seriously,” Secretary of Health Dr. Rachel Levine said. “Pennsylvanians have a very important job right now: stay calm, stay home and stay safe. We have seen case counts continue to increase and the best way to prevent the spread of COVID-19 is to stay home.”
Statewide, there are 185 cases of COVID-19 reported from commercial, hospital and state labs. There are 1,608 patients who have tested negative, and one death. With commercial labs being the primary testing option for most Pennsylvanians, data is not available on the total number of tests pending.
Statewide – The Wolf Administration has announced:
- Statewide mitigation efforts.
- Guidance for essential and non-essential businesses on mitigation efforts.
- Pennsylvania k-12 schools closed with guidance provided.
- Postponing in-person events that consist of 10 people or more throughout the United States.
- Discretion for religious leaders in holding services.
- No-visitor policies at all State correctional facilities and nursing homes to ensure the safety of inmates, residents, staff and visitors.
- Restricted-visitor policies in state centers.
- Restricted-visitor policies in assisted living and personal care homes.
The Wolf Administration stresses the role Pennsylvanians play in helping to reduce the spread of COVID-19:
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Cover any coughs or sneezes with your elbow, not your hands.
- Clean surfaces frequently.
- Stay home to avoid spreading COVID-19, especially if you are unwell.
All Pennsylvania residents are encouraged to sign up for AlertPA, a text notification system for health, weather, and other important alerts like COVID-19 updates from commonwealth agencies. Residents can sign up online at www.ready.pa.gov/BeInformed/Signup-For-Alerts.