NEWTOWN BOROUGH >> The historic Newtown Theatre will host its next Independent Film Night on Sunday, Oct. 6 at 7:30 p.m.
This event will feature eight short films that were submitted by independent filmmakers from across the country. More than 100 films were received. The ones being shown were chosen for their compelling stories and high production value. Some content may be inappropriate for children.
Admission is $5 at the door and free for theatre members. Featured films include:
• Kaeru. In this animated short, a darkroom photographer named Mitsuko struggles with self-doubt.
• Dead Winter. Audrey, a young woman living in the postapocalyptic American south, spends every day of her life fighting for the remnants of her family. But her grandmother wants nothing more than for Audrey to move on and try to have a better life.
• Bounty Huntin’. A lonely bounty hunter finds himself in a difficult situation when his car breaks down in the middle of nowhere, with a recently kidnapped bounty still in the trunk.
• Buried. At the edge of marriage falling apart, a young wife of a miner is forced to revisit her decision to leave after her husband gets trapped underground in a mining accident.
• One More, Please. Feeling alone on Valentine’s Day, Daniel goes to a bar to get drunk.
• Louise. Louise tells the tragedy of how a young girl, in 1912 California, loses her mother just as she is beginning to understand the devastating causes of their estrangement.
• As One. Jill must put one foot in front of the other to move through her grief, and with connection she discovers that every mile has a story.
• My Daughter Yoshiko. With her daughter Yoshiko diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder, and her husband overseas serving in the military, Saki Omura is finding it harder and harder to cope. Too ashamed to burden others and too proud to ask for help, Saki faces the now-daunting task of giving her daughter the best life possible.
The Newtown Theatre is located at 120 N. State Street in Newtown Borough. For more information, visit TheNewtownTheatre.com.